- Eminem called Netflix out on Twitter on Wednesday for cancelling “The Punisher.”
- But data showed that viewership for the Marvel series had dropped significantly.
Eminem is a huge fan of Netflix’s Marvel series, “The Punisher.” Too bad the streaming giant just canceled it.
Netflix canceled “The Punisher” on Monday along with “Jessica Jones,” putting an official end to its Marvel TV universe that also included “Daredevil,” “Luke Cage,” and “Iron Fist” (all of which were canceled late last year). Eminem isn’t happy about it, and called Netflix out on TwitterWednesday night.
Eminem wrote: “DEAR @NETFLIX, REGARDING YOUR CANCELLATION OF THE PUNISHER, YOU ARE BLOWING IT!! SINCERELY, MARSHALL”
REGARDING YOUR CANCELLATION OF THE PUNISHER, YOU ARE BLOWING IT!!
— Marshall Mathers (@Eminem) February 21, 2019
Eminem joins a loyal fanbase upset to see the Netflix Marvel shows go. Fans even launched an online campaign called “#SaveDaredevil” after the show was canceled
But data suggests that Netflix was right to cancel “The Punisher.” Viewership for the show dropped 40% from 2017’s first season to last month’s second season in their first weekends of release, according to data from analytics company Jumpshot provided to Business Insider.
Buzz for the other shows had dropped, as well. A social-media analysis from Crimson Hexagon in October, after “Luke Cage” and “Iron Fist” were canceled, showed that the online conversation surrounding the series had fallen dramatically from their first to second seasons.
And Eminem shouldn’t expect Marvel owner Disney to save the show on its upcoming streaming service, Disney+. He should probably just say goodbye to “The Punisher” for good.
Have a tip about Marvel or anything else? Email the author at [email protected]
Read more of Business Insider’s coverage of Netflix’s Marvel shows:
- Netflix’s Marvel TV universe is dead, and it’s unlikely the shows will be saved by Disney
- Netflix canceled ‘The Punisher’ and ‘Jessica Jones,’ but the Marvel shows were doomed a long time ago
- Netflix’s ‘The Punisher’ viewership is down 40%, but there’s a sliver of hope for fans of the Marvel show
- Data predicted Netflix would cancel ‘Daredevil,’ and its remaining Marvel shows are probably next
- Fans are calling for Netflix to renew ‘Daredevil,’ but data shows interest in the show has fallen off
- Netflix canceled Marvel’s ‘Luke Cage’ and ‘Iron Fist’ in the span of a month, and it could show a strategy shift
- Interest in Netflix’s ‘Luke Cage’ and ‘Iron Fist’ dropped dramatically over time, and its other Marvel shows could also be in trouble