- Emily Ratajkowski announced her pregnancy in October 2020.
- The model recently denied getting lip filler while pregnant and said she’s never had the treatment.
- Many doctors advise pregnant patients to avoid lip filler due to a lack of studies on the effects.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Emily Ratajkowski, who announced her pregnancy in late October 2020, took to Instagram to shut down speculation that she has gotten lip fillers while pregnant.
“For anyone saying ‘you need to stop w/ the lip injections’: I’ve never had lip injections (no judging for folks who doâ€”y’all look great!) but you can’t even get lip injections when you’re pregnant!” the model wrote.
She added that she thinks her face and lips may appear “a little puffy” because of the changes happening to her body during pregnancy.
Most doctors do not recommend lip injections to those who are expecting
As Ratajkowski noted on her Instagram story, it’s true that most doctors are not likely to recommend pregnant patients get lip-filler treatments.
When Kylie Jenner was pregnant in 2017 with her daughter Stormi, she sparked a similar conversation, as fans wondered if she would want or plan to keep up with her lip injections or other cosmetic procedures.
At the time, two doctors â€” plastic surgeon Dr. Alan Matarasso and OB-GYN Dr. Sheryl Ross â€” told Insider that they wouldn’t recommend the use of JuvÃ©derm, a popular lip-filler brand, or other injectables, during pregnancy without substantial studies on the effects they could have on the foetus.
The effects of JuvÃ©derm on pregnancy or breastfeeding still haven’t been studied, the brand’s site states.
However, Ross previously said that the use of lip injections prior to pregnancy, particularly from the brand JuvÃ©derm, would be unlikely to cause negative effects on the baby.
In her Instagram story, Ratajkowski also pointed out that people who think she has gotten lip injections might just be noticing the effects of her pregnancy on her face and lips.
This could be because during pregnancy, hormonal changes in the body can make lips appear fuller and act as a sort of natural plumper, Ross previously told Insider.
Ratajkowski said she plans to ‘celebrate’ her body during her pregnancy on her own terms
In her Instagram story post, the model said that she was halfway into her pregnancy when she announced the news in late October on Vogue’s digital cover. She and her husband of two years, Sebastian Bear-McClard, are expecting their first child together.
Ratajkowski added: “It’s p weird to have your body change so much in a matter of months but I’ve found I have a whole new appreciation for what my body can do and what is beautiful.”
“I’m gonna celebrate it on here when I feel like it,” she wrote.
- Read more:
- 13 times Emily Ratajkowski has embraced her baby bump with bold maternity fashion
- I spent my first trimester of pregnancy sheltering in place at home â€” these are the items that helped comfort me while struggling with isolation
- 29 of the best maternity outfits celebrities have worn
- Gigi Hadid has finally revealed the name of her and Zayn Malik’s 4-month-old daughter