Elon Musk said he will be staying on President Donald Trump’s business advisory council on Twitter Thursday in the wake of criticism from Tesla customers.
Customers have been cancelling their Tesla Model 3 orders, citing discomfort with Musk’s proximity to the Trump administration, CNBC reported Tuesday.
In addition to the business advisory council, Musk is also a member of Trump’s Manufacturing Jobs Initiative. Last week, Musk attended a meeting at the White House with other executives about Trump’s manufacturing plans.
Criticism toward Musk regarding his affiliation with the Trump administration mounted after Trump signed an executive order barring immigrants from seven Muslim-majority nations from entering the US. Musk said in his statement that he and others will “express our objections to the recent executive order on immigration and offer suggestions for changes to the policy.”
Musk issued his statement just a few hours after news broke that Uber CEO Travis Kalanick was quitting Trump’s business advisory council.
Here’s Musk’s statement in full:
“In December, I agreed to join the Presidential Advisory forum to provide feedback on issues that I think are important for our country and the world. In tomorrow’s meeting, I and others will express our objections to the recent executive order on immigration and offer suggestions for changes to the policy.”
“Advisory councils simply provide advice and attending does not mean that I agree with actions by the Administration. My goals are to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy and to help make humanity a multi-planet civilisation, a consequence of which will be the creation of hundreds of thousands of jobs and a more inspiring future for all.”
“I understand the perspective of those who object to my attending this meeting, but I believe at this time that engaging on critical issues will on balance serve the greater good.”
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.