- Elon Musk took a drag of a spliff – weed mixed with tobacco – during a live interview with the former UFC commentator Joe Rogan on Thursday.
- Rogan lit up first and then offered the spliff to Musk.
- Marijuana is legal for medical and recreational use in California, where the interview took place.
- Musk suggested in an interview with The New York Times last month that he was no fan of marijuana, arguing that it kills productivity.
Elon Musk took a drag on a spliff – weed mixed with tobacco – during a live interview on the “Joe Rogan Experience” podcast on Thursday.
Musk spoke to Rogan for more than 2 1/2 hours. Later in the interview, Rogan, a former UFC commentator, offered Tesla’s CEO a smoke.
Rogan told Musk about a small container he bought in Mexico that he had hoped would hold joints. Rogan then took out a large spliff and lit up.
“Is that a joint, or is it a cigar?” Musk asked.
“It’s marijuana inside of tobacco,” Rogan said. He then asked whether Musk had ever had it.
“Yeah, I think I tried one once,” Musk said.
“Come on, man,” Rogan said as Musk laughed.
Rogan suggested Musk probably couldn’t smoke “because of stockholders, right?”
“I mean it’s legal, right?” Musk said before taking a drag.
Marijuana is legal for medical and recreational use in California, where the interview took place.
The two men also drank whiskey during the interview, and Musk pointed out that alcohol is also a drug.
Watch the exchange:
It’s not the first time Musk has been asked about weed in recent weeks.
In an interview with The New York Times shortly afterward,Musk said he didn’t smoke weed before he tweeted.
“Weed is not helpful for productivity,” he told the newspaper. “There’s a reason for the word ‘stoned.’ You just sit there like a stone on weed.”
- 70-hour weeks and ‘WTF’ emails: 42 employees reveal the frenzy of working at Tesla under the ‘cult’ of Elon Musk
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.