- Elon Musk and Grimes really have named their baby boy X AE A-XII.
- The birth certificate, obtained by TMZ, shows clearly the baby boy’s first name as X, middle name as AE A-XII, and surname as Musk.
- Grimes and Musk slightly adjusted the name from X Æ A-12 to X AE A-XII because California law prohibits names with characters outside the English alphabet, with the exception of some punctuation.
- While there was a rumour the name could be pronounced “Kyle,”Grimes said she referred to her son as “Little X.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
It’s official: Elon Musk and Grimes’ baby boy has been named X AE A-XII. The birth certificate, which was obtained by TMZ, has confirmed the unusual name for baby Musk, clearly showing him with the first name X, middle name AE A-XII, and surname Musk.
The couple originally wanted their son to be named X Æ A-12, but they had to make slight adjustments because California law says only the 26 letters of the English alphabet and certain punctuation can be included on a birth certificate.
In a recent Instagram comment, Grimes said Roman numerals “looks better tbh.”
There was much talk about how the name was going to be pronounced after Musk tweeted the selection of seemingly random characters after the child was born. A meme soon started circulating that the name might be pronounced “Kyle.”
Grimes soon clarified, however, that the name was spoken as the sounds of the singular letters X, A, and I, while Musk told Joe Rogan the Æ part was pronounced “Ash.”
Grimes also explained the name’s origin on Twitter, saying X was “the unknown variable,” Æ was the “elven spelling” for love or artificial intelligence, A stood for the song “Archangel,” and A-12 was the name of the precursor to their favourite aircraft, the SR-71.
Grimes also told Bloomberg in a recent profile that she called her son “Little X” for short.
- Read more:
- Grimes has revealed the nickname she uses for baby ‘X AE A-12’
- Grimes and Elon Musk probably can’t legally name their child ‘X AE A-12’ per California’s birth registration handbook
- Grimes says she and Elon Musk have changed their baby’s name amid questions over the name’s validity in California
- Elon Musk tweeted out a string of characters claiming it was his new baby boy’s name, and the memes about him and Grimes’ parenting have already begun
- Gwyneth Paltrow, whose daughter is named Apple, said Elon Musk and Grimes’ baby name wins for ‘most controversial’