A fire has ravaged a popular bar owned by Silverchair's Chris Joannou

Twitter/@tahliasarv

A fire has ravaged Silverchair bassist Chris Joannou’s bar and restaurant in Newcastle overnight.

Firefighters were called to scene on Parry Street at about midnight after a member of the public noticed flames and smoke coming from the building.

Emergency crews arrived just forty minutes after the last employees had closed up the bar and left for the night, according to NSW Police.

Firefighters battled for two hours to try to control the blaze, but were unable to get inside the building after the roof collapsed.

A number of people were evacuated from surrounding buildings, and roads surrounding the bar were closed.

According to 9News, it is believed the blaze may have originally been sparked in the middle of the building, close to the bar’s kitchen.

Twitter/@emurphynbn

Joannou opened Edwards Bar four years ago after converting it from laundromat into a bar and restaurant.

Police have established a crime scene and will investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident.

NOW WATCH: Briefing videos

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.