MarketWatch bond reporter Ben Eisen points out that the Verizon bond deal — the largest corporate bond offering ever, at $US49 billion — is bigger than the entire economy of Luxembourg (which sports a GDP of $US42 billion, according to the IMF).
To put the offering further into perspective, here are a few other economies smaller than the size of the Verizon deal, which prices today:
- Honduras (GDP $US38 billion)
- Latvia (GDP $US37 billion)
- Afghanistan (GDP $US31.8 billion)
- Democratic Republic of Congo (GDP $US27.5 billion)
- Jamaica (GDP $US25.2 billion)
- Cyprus (GDP $US23.6 billion)