- Dwyane Wade has been swapping jerseys with opposing players after games during his final NBA season.
- On Monday, Wade surprised Atlanta Hawks rookie Kevin Huerter by asking him to swap jerseys.
- Huerter grew up a fan of Wade and wears No. 3, in part, because of Wade. He looked surprised but happy by the gesture.
During his final season in the NBA, Dwyane Wade has made a habit of swapping jerseys with a star on the opposing team, collecting memorabilia of his many opponents.
That list has included all-time greats like Dirk Nowitzki and LeBron James to rising stars like Ben Simmons and Bradley Beal.
On Monday, however, Wade picked out a surprising player, grabbing Atlanta Hawks rookie Kevin Huerter after the Heat beat the Hawks and asking him to swap jerseys.
Huerter, a 20-year-old taken with the 19th pick in the 2018 draft who is averaging 28 minutes per game, looked surprised by the request.
Huerter grew up a fan of Wade and wears No. 3, in part, because of Wade.
“He’s always done it the right way,” Huerter said after the game. “You never hear him with off-court type of stuff. He brought championships to this city. He’s been with the Heat for the majority of his career. He’s been loyal to them. And as a guy coming up, a young guy, starting out with the Hawks, I hope I can continue a long career with them. The league’s going to miss him, for sure.”
“The look on his face, I understood it meant a lot to him,” Wade said, adding that he thinks Huerter has a bright future in the league.
Watch the exchange below:
- Read more:
- The top 30 prospects in the 2019 NBA Draft
- Dirk Nowitzki is being treated to a farewell tour around the NBA – but he’s never said that he’s retiring
- Some in the NBA world believe the Lakers should shut down LeBron James as the Lakers’ playoff chase spirals
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.