- Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson told Rolling Stone he wasn’t sure whether he’d be in “Fast and Furious 9,” scheduled for release in 2020.
- Johnson said he was focused on making next year’s spin-off, “Hobbs and Shaw,” as it good as it can be.
- He also mentioned his feud with his franchise co-star Vin Diesel, implying he still has “ill will” toward him.
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson isn’t sure whether he’s returning for “Fast and Furious 9,” and it might have something to do with his franchise co-star Vin Diesel.
There seems to still be some hard feelings between the two – at least on Johnson’s side – after they famously feuded on the set of the eighth “Fast and Furious” movie.
In an interview with Rolling Stone published Wednesday, Johnson opened up about the feud and his future involvement in the franchise, implying he may not return for the ninth instalment, scheduled for a 2020 release, and suggesting he still has ill will toward Diesel.
“Vin and I had a few discussions, including an important face-to-face in my trailer,” Johnson told Rolling Stone. “And what I came to realise is that we have a fundamental difference in philosophies on how we approach moviemaking and collaborating. It took me some time, but I’m grateful for that clarity. Whether we work together again or not.”
That made it sound as if all was well – but when asked whether he’d return for “Fast and Furious 9,” Johnson was less than optimistic. He said he was “not quite sure” and that he was focusing on making “Hobbs and Shaw,” a spin-off expected next year, as it good as it can be.
Then he even threw a bit of shade at Diesel.
“I wish him all the best, and I harbour no ill will there, just because of the clarity we have,” he said, then adding: “Actually, you can erase that last part about ‘no ill will.’ We’ll just keep it with the clarity.”
In 2016, Johnson posted a Facebook message during his last week of filming that called out his “Fate of the Furious” male co-stars – later discovered to be Diesel – for being too “chicken s—” to act professionally.
In October, after an announcement that the ninth movie would be delayed until 2020, Tyrese Gibson, another “Fast and Furious” franchise star, blamed Johnson, saying on Instagram that he was acting selfishly.
There’s definitely drama surrounding the franchise, so it makes sense that Johnson would be hesitant to return. But it has also soared to new heights at the box office since Johnson joined, so the studio would no doubt be loath to lose him.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.