- Last week Dunkin’ announced a new lineup of fall foods and beverages, including the Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Signature Latte.
- The pumpkin and cinnamon-flavored espresso drink topped with whipped cream, caramel drizzle, and cinnamon sugar dust is perfectly positioned to rival Starbucks‘ crown jewel: the Pumpkin Spice Latte.
- INSIDER got an early taste of Dunkin’s newest offering at a location in Manhattan that had been transformed into a “Pumpkin'” store for the day.
- The cinnamon perfectly complemented the hints of pumpkin in the drink, and the entire ensemble boasted a creamy, rich feel.
- Though it has been the better part of a year since I had a PSL, I thought Dunkin’s pumpkin-flavored latte was better than Starbucks’ heavyweight.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
For as long as I can remember, the fall season has been characterised by changing leaves, chunky sweaters, Ugg boots, and, of course, Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes.
But this year, there’s a new player in the world of autumn-themed drinks and I, for one, will be taking my business down the road to Dunkin’.
Last week, the coffee giant announced a new lineup of fall foods and beverages that includes the Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Signature Latte, an obvious attempt to rival Starbucks’ PSLs in the form of pumpkin and cinnamon-flavored espresso topped with whipped cream, caramel drizzle, and cinnamon sugar dust.
Dunkin’s pumpkin lineup isn’t slated to hit stores until August 21, but I had a chance to sample the Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Signature Latte a week early
On Wednesday I made the trek from INSIDER’s headquarters in Manhattan’s Financial District to a Dunkin’ location in New York’s Hell’s Kitchen neighbourhood, which had been transformed into a “Pumpkin'” store for the day.
I gave Cuppy, Dunkin’s hot drink mascot, a high five as I headed inside, then waited as the barista prepared an iced Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Signature Latte for me.
The store was one of eight locations across the country giving customers free small pumpkin coffees throughout the day, but it wasn’t inordinately crowded when I went in around 10:30 a.m.
The barista finished making my specialty drink, which was topped with a perfect dollop of whipped cream and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar
I found a straw, made my way outside, and took my first gulp.
The Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Signature Latte was sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. The cinnamon perfectly complemented the hints of pumpkin, and the entire ensemble boasted a creamy, rich feel.
It was perfect.
In my opinion, Dunkin’s take on pumpkin-flavored lattes is tastier than the PSL
Like everyone else in America, I’ve been deprived of Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Lattes for the better part of a year now, so it’s difficult to directly compare Dunkin’s newest addition to Starbucks’ heavy hitter.
Still, I can’t remember ever liking the PSL quite as much as I enjoyed Dunkin’s Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Signature Latte (CSPSL, perhaps?), which I sucked down at record speed despite the fact that I had ordered a large.
Over time, the whipped cream, caramel, and cinnamon sugar melted into the drink to create a seamless blend of coffee and cream. I couldn’t get enough.
I posed for a photo with Cuppy before heading back to INSIDER’s office with my nearly-empty Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Signature Latte cup in tow. I raved to everyone about just how good “Dunkin’s crack at the PSL” really was, even going so far as to declare it better than the Starbucks original that has amassed a cult following unlike any other.
Now the only thing left to do is count the hours until the CSPSL hits Dunkin’ stores on Wednesday. I’ve already resolved to be first in line.
- Read more:
- A Dunkin’ employee says she was sent to Burger King locations during the Impossible Whopper debut to hand out $US5 gift cards
- These are the best doughnut shops in all 50 states
- Starbucks is releasing 4 new flavored coffee creamers, including Pumpkin Spice. Here’s what they all taste like.
- We did a blind taste test of Dunkin’s new Beyond Meat breakfast sandwich. Here’s what it tastes like compared to the real thing.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.