- Olivia Rodrigo’s “Drivers Licence” is currently the biggest song in the world.
- Fans have created mashups of the hit single with music from some of Rodrigo’s pop idols.
- Some of our favourites include Lorde’s “Green Light” and Taylor Swift’s “Getaway Car.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
“Drivers Licence” smashed streaming records and debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming just the 48th song in history to do so. In an even rarer feat, it remained on top for a second week and has continued enchanting the masses with its autobiographical lyrics, powerful vocals, and melodramatic bridge.
Rodrigo, 17, wrote the majority of the song last summer in just one hour.
“I was in my living room, and it was a really emotional, cathartic experience for me,” she told NME. “I wrote it, and I remember putting my head down on the keys and crying as it was so emotional, and it really evoked that reaction out of me.”
The “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series” star was heavily influenced by the pop stars she grew up loving.
“I’m obsessed with Taylor Swift, and I talk about her all the time as an inspiration. The way she narrates stories and is so articulate and clear, and the way that evolves as her career goes on, and she still stays true to herself is really inspiring,” Rodrigo told NME.
“I’m obsessed with Lorde, I remember hearing ‘Pure Heroine’ for the first time and that was the first record that I ever heard where I felt like there were pieces of myself and my experiences in it,” she continued. “I love Halsey, I love the honesty that Halsey portrays in her music.”
Rodrigo has also named Gracie Abrams, Phoebe Bridgers, and Baby Queen as lyrical inspirations.
Indeed, “Drivers Licence” has been compared to music by Swift and Lorde in articles from Rolling Stone, Slate, and The New York Times. Fans have noted shades of Halsey’s “Drive,”Kesha’s “Praying,” and Lana Del Rey’s “Ride.”
Others have gone even further, blending the power ballad with songs by Rodrigo’s own idols, like Swift’s “Getaway Car,” Lorde’s “Green Light,” and more.
Insider rounded up eight of our favourite “Drivers Licence” mashups below.
‘Getaway Car’ by Swift
‘Wildest Dreams’ also by Swift
Lorde’s ‘Green Light’
‘Finally // Beautiful Stranger’ by Halsey
Halsey’s ‘Without Me’
Ariana Grande’s ‘In My Head’
‘Someone Like You’ by Adele
‘Everything I Wanted’ by Billie Eilish
- Read more:
- ‘Drivers Licence’ by Olivia Rodrigo is TikTok’s latest obsession. A speculated love triangle is fuelling its popularity.
- Fans think Sabrina Carpenter’s new song is a ‘petty’ response to Olivia Rodrigo’s ‘Drivers Licence’
- 35 absolutely essential albums released by female artists in 2020
- Only 21 songs in history have debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and stayed there â€” here they all are