- Dr. Pimple Popper recently treated a patient with six eruptive vellus hair cysts, or tiny non-cancerous growths that are the result of fine-hair buildup on the upper half of the body.
- To treat the cysts, Lee made small incisions in each and squeezed them with her fingers.
- Small pearl-like balls came out of each growth, and she showed them under a microscope.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Dr. Pimple Popper recently treated a patient with six small cysts on her rib cage and back that contained tiny “pearls,” which she showed viewers under a microscope after she extracted them.
The YouTube video from Thursday featured the dermatologist Dr. Pimple Popper, whose real name is Dr. Sandra Lee, squeezing eruptive vellus hair cysts, a rare skin condition that causes 1- to 4-millimetre-wide dome-shaped bumps, according to Lee.
The bumps tend to be on the chest or arms and form when vellus hair, or the short and fine hair on the upper body, clogs a pore and leads to buildup in the area.
This type of cyst isn’t painful, but Dr. Pimple Popper’s patient said the cysts felt itchy on her skin and led her to scratch constantly, so she wanted them treated.
To do that, Lee first injected a numbing solution near each cyst.
Then, she used a small blade and her fingers to pull tiny “pearls” out of the cysts. These pearls are the buildup that makes eruptive vellus hair cysts inflamed and stick out from the skin.
After creating a small incision on top of each cyst, Lee was able to use her fingers to squeeze both edges, and the pearls seamlessly popped out of the patient’s skin. Some of the cysts contained multiple pearls.
“It’s like we’re mining for diamonds,” Lee told her patient, as she collected the pearls to later look at under a microscope.
Under the microscope, Lee showed how the nearly imperceptible vellus hairs got wrapped up in the pearls and clogged the skin.
Lee said this type of cyst was prone to regrowth and extraction was the best way to treat the area.
- Read more:
- Watch Dr. Pimple Popper squeeze blackhead ‘fireworks’ all over a man’s face
- Watch Dr. Pimple Popper perform a ‘Macgyver cyst punch,’ a technique that’s like coring an apple
- Watch Dr. Pimple Popper drain a bloody cyst that reminded her of Shamu the whale
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.