- Venmo does not work internationally, as users must be physically located in the United States to complete transactions on the app.
- You’ll also need to have a US bank account to set up a Venmo account, and if you plan on getting the Venmo credit card, you’ll need to have a Social Security Number, too.
- Here’s what you need to know about Venmo’s location requirements for transactions.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Venmo can be a useful money-transfer tool, whether you’re paying back a friend for lunch or receiving funds from a family member.
Unfortunately, however, the app does not allow for international payments. That means it isn’t a viable option if you want to send money to family abroad, or complete other international transactions. For that, you’ll have to look elsewhere.
For those who are curious, here’s everything you need to know about the app’s various location requirements.
Venmo does not work internationally
To use a Venmo account, you’ll have to meet the following requirements:
- Be physically located in the United States
- Have a US cell phone number that can send and receive texts from short codes
If you plan on obtaining a Venmo credit card, you’ll also need to be able to provide a Social Security Number to qualify.
If you want to transfer any of your Venmo funds to a connected bank account, that account must also be from a US-based bank account or debit card.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.