Disney CEO Bob Iger announced Thursday that the company’s upcoming Disney-branded streaming service will feature Marvel and Star Wars movies, and its app is set for launch in late 2019.
Iger told a Bank of America-Merrill Lynch media conference in Los Angeles that the service will also feature four to five original films and four to five original TV series, produced exclusively for the app, as well an extensive library of Disney film and TV content, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
“It will have the entire output of the studio, animation, live action at Disney, including Pixar, Star Wars, and all the Marvel films,” Iger said.
Iger told investors to “think of the Disney app as a traditional SVOD service,” or streaming video on demand service, in the vein of Netflix. He did not specify a monthly fee for the service.
The new service marks a significant strategy change for Disney.
Starting in 2017, Netflix became the exclusive subscription streaming home of all new Disney movies. Disney’s decision to shift to its own app in 2019 will, however, bring an end to their Netflix deal, and remove a vast amount of Disney-produced content from the service.
Iger said just last month that the company hadn’t decided how to deal with Marvel and Star Wars films, but it’s now clear that Disney is making moves to bolster the service’s “treasure trove” of content, as Iger labelled it on Thursday.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.