Disney California Adventure theme park plans to host a food festival tentatively by March

Image
  • Disney announced it will tentatively host a food festival at California Adventure Park in mid-March.
  • The “all-new, limited-time ticketed experience” will also feature “unique, carefully crafted entertainment experiences.”
  • Disney recalled about 1,000 employees who were laid off or furloughed due to the pandemic to work the event.
  • Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.

Disney announced on Monday plans to host a food festival tentatively scheduled for mid-March after the state lifted its stay-at-home order last month.

In a letter commemorating the 20th anniversary of the California Adventure Park, Disneyland Resort President Ken Potrock said the “all-new, limited-time ticketed experience” will feature “world-famous food and beverage offerings from around the resort, the latest merchandise and unique, carefully crafted entertainment experiences.”

The event will have “limited capacity and enhanced health and safety measures in place,” Potrock added. The food festival prompted the company to recall about 1,000 employees who were laid off or furloughed because of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

“This past year has presented extraordinary challenges, but that has not curtailed in any way our ability to move forward with a spirit of optimism,” Potrock said in the memo to employees.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom issued a regional stay-at-home order in early December of last year as COVID-19 infections surged in the state. Newsom lifted the order on January 25 “as projected ICU availability over 4 weeks in all regions rose to over 15%,” according to a press release.

Disneyland and its rides will still remain closed amid the ongoing pandemic. California reported nearly 10,500 cases and more than 200 deaths on Monday. More than three million cases have been reported in California, and the death toll in the state surpassed 44,000.