- Derrick Lewis is the UFC fighter who went viral for telling the UFC commentator Joe Rogan that he took his shorts off because his “balls was hot.”
- Lewis had just come-from-behind to deliver a savage knockout, finishing Alexander Volkov in the final minute of their wild UFC 229 brawl on Saturday.
- Lewis has trebled the amount of Instagram followers he has in a matter of days. He also has a UFC world heavyweight title shot against Dan Cormier at UFC 230 next month.
- Read all of Business Insider’s UFC 229 coverage here.
Derrick Lewis secured an incredible victory when he came-from-behind to finish Alexander Volkov in the final minute of their UFC 229 clash on Saturday – and he now has a UFC heavyweight world title shot in three weeks’ time.
The American power puncher had little name value around the world before Saturday’s showdown.
But he won a “performance of the night” bonus for his savage finish and then went viral for giving a hilarious post-fight interview where he told the UFC commentator Joe Rogan his “balls was hot” and that Donald Trump had called to explicitly tell him to “knock this Russian mother f—– out.”
Days later, he trebled the amount of followers on his Instagram account – he currently has 1.2 million fans.
And he has now been awarded a world title shot against reigning UFC heavyweight champion Dan Cormier, but the catch is that the fight will take place on November 3, at the UFC 230 event that takes place at Madison Square Garden in New York. This leaves Lewis with less than a month to prepare for the biggest fight of his life.
The UFC boss Dana White reportedly confirmed that “the fight is done,” according to ESPN journalist Brett Okamoto.
BREAKING: Per Dana White, "the fight is done" between Daniel Cormier and Derrick Lewis at UFC 230 on Nov. 3 in New York.
— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) October 9, 2018
Prominent MMA reporter Ariel Helwani also tweeted about the event.
Let’s recap Derrick Lewis’ last 3 days:
* Incredible KO comeback on the biggest card ever
* Revelation that his ???? were overheating in front of the world
* 600k new Instagram followers
* Title shot at MSG
Take a bow, @Thebeast_ufc.
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) October 9, 2018
Lewis has previously said he wanted to knock Cormier out, and it’s all because he apparently “disrespected” Popeyes chicken – a fast food outlet that both heavyweights seem to enjoy.
Watch the video that seemingly irked Lewis right here:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.