- Demi Lovato slammed Instagram and the video game Game of Sultans over an ad that appeared on her feed on Friday.
- In a series of Instagram stories, Lovato accused the company of promoting “fat shaming” and said the ad was “absolutely harmful.”
- The app compared two characters, one with the label “obese,” and an apparently thinner character with the label, “pretty.”
- She said she expected Instagram to “know better by allowing this advertisement to be allowed on your app.”
Demi Lovato slammed Instagram after a video game ad that appeared to fat shame its characters appeared on her feed on Friday.
The advertisement, from the video game Game of Sultans, compared two characters, one with the label, “My daughter: obese,” and an apparently thinner character with the label, “Friend’s daughter: pretty.”
“You can be ‘pretty’ at any weight,” Lovato, 26, said in her Instagram story , adding that there were “so many things wrong” with the ad.
Demi Lovato doesn‘t get enough credit in the world. pic.twitter.com/bL9mM58KoK
— ❤️ємιℓу❤️ (@DevonnesMUSE) January 4, 2019
Lovato noted that the character’s label of “obese” later changed to “controlled” when vegetables were selected in another screen grab of the game’s ad.
“This is absolutely harmful to anyone who is easily influenced by societal pressures put on us from the diet culture to constantly be losing weight in a world that teaches us to equate our value and worth with the way we look and especially anyone in recovery from an eating disorder,” she wrote. “Especially when disorders are all about ‘control.'”
Lovato asked Instagram to “keep this bulls—” off of her feed and the feeds of other people.
“With how aware people are becoming of mental health and mental illnesses, I expect you guys to know better by allowing this advertisement to be allowed on your app. And shame on the game,” she said.
- Read more:
- Demi Lovato returns to Instagram with a photo of her voting
- Demi Lovato has reportedly left rehab after being sober for the past three months
- 8 times celebrities have gotten brutally honest about the ups and downs of addiction and recovery
- Demi Lovato says she’s refocusing on her ‘sobriety and road to recovery’ after being hospitalized due to an apparent overdose
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.