10 confirmed dead in Florida building collapse, mayor says, 151 still unaccounted for

Miami condo collapse rescue efforts
Members of the South Florida Urban Search and Rescue team look for possible survivors in the partially collapsed 12-story Champlain Towers South condo building on June 26, 2021 in Surfside, Florida. Joe Raedle/Getty Images
  • The death toll in the Miami-area building collapse rose Monday, the mayor said.
  • 10 people are confirmed dead following last week’s fatal incident.
  • Rescue teams continue to search for survivors in the building rubble.
  • Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.

The death toll in the Surfside, Florida high-rise condo collapse has risen to 10, officials said Monday.

Search and rescue teams looking for possible survivors in the partly collapsed 12-story Champlain Towers South condo building recovered another body from the rubble Monday morning, bringing the confirmed death count to 10, Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava told reporters.

There are still 151 people unaccounted for, according to Cava.

“The search and rescue operation continues,” Cava said, explaining, “Right now our top priority is search and rescue and find the people.”

A massive wing of the Collins Avenue condo building in Miami-Dade County suddenly collapsed last Thursday at around 1:30 a.m.

Since the collapse, search and rescue teams have worked tirelessly around the clock at the hazardous disaster site.

“We are exploring all possible avenues,” said Cava. “We’re going to continue to work ceaselessly to exhaust every possible option in our search.”

Miami-Dade Assistant Fire Chief Raide Jadallah explained that there’s a level of “complexity” when it comes to “de-layering” the massive pile of rubble.

“We’re talking about pulverized concrete,” Jadallah said, adding, “It’s going to take some time.”

Jadallah explained that there’s certain areas of the huge mound of rubble that crews have not gotten to yet, but have been able to place cameras in “that seem to show large enough spaces, voids, that occupants may still be in there.”

“Again, it’s in regards to the actual spaces, not to say that we have seen anybody down there, but we haven’t gotten to the very bottom,” said Jadallah.

Florida State Fire Marshal Jimmy Patronis said that the rescue effort in the condo collapse is the “largest ever deployment of task force resources” in the Sunshine State that’s not for a hurricane.

Meanwhile, officials vowed that there will be a thorough investigation of what led to the collapse.

“We do obviously need to identify why this happened,” Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said.

This story is developing. Please check back for updates.