- Surveillance footage shows the moment David “Big Papi” Ortiz was shot at a bar in the Dominican Republic on Sunday night.
- The video shows the former Red Sox slugger falling to the ground after being shot in the back.
- Ortiz is reportedly out of surgery and expected to recover. The shooting suspect is in custody.
Surveillance footage obtained by CNN shows the moment the former Red Sox slugger David “Big Papi” Ortiz was shot at a bar in the Dominican Republic on Sunday night.
The video shows the 43-year-old falling to the ground after being shot in the back by a man who reportedly arrived at a bar in Santo Domingo, Ortiz’s hometown, on a motorcycle.
Ortiz was rushed to the hospital to undergo surgery. A sports reporter named Guillermo Schultz tweeted shortly before midnight that Ortiz was already out of surgery and “is out of danger.”
Videos showed the suspect being beaten by bystanders after the attack. The videos, which INSIDER is not reposting because they are graphic, show the man bleeding heavily from the face while sitting on a footpath, a crowd yelling obscenities at him.
A photo shows the suspect recovering from his injuries after the attack, with a bandage around his head and cuts and bruises covering his face.
Ortiz helped the Red Sox win three World Series during his 14 seasons with the team. He retired in 2016 with a career 541 home runs.
- Read more
- 5 American tourists have died in the Dominican Republic in less than three months
- A Pennsylvania woman died at a Dominican Republic hotel just days before a Maryland couple were found dead at the same resort
- A Maryland couple found dead at a Dominican Republic resort reportedly died of respiratory failure
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.