- “Dark” is Netflix’s first German series, b ut in the US it will autoplay with dubbed English audio.
- Watching the original German version with English subtitles is a much better experience for those able to read captions.
- You can change the audio settings on Netflix to several captioned languages including English, German, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, and Traditional Chinese.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more.
If you haven’t started Netflix’s new cerebral mystery series “Dark” yet, you’re missing out. But before you dive in, it’s important to know all the audio options. “Dark” is the streaming service’s first original German series, which means the entire show was filmed with German actors speaking (you guessed it) German.
For US viewers, Netflix automatically plays a version of the show dubbed in English. But for those able to read captions, watching “Dark” with the original German audio is a much better experience.
How to switch your settings to the original German audio and turn on English subtitles
When you start playing the show, go to the bottom menu on the screen:
The second box from the right is will open the audio and subtitles settings. For English speakers, we recommend selecting German audio and English subtitles. If English isn’t your first language, the US version of Netflix also offers Chinese and Spanish subtitles.
For those watching on an Apple TV, you can pull down the same audio menu from the top of your screen while in the Netflix app.
Reading subtitles throughout a show (especially one as complex as “Dark”) can be daunting if you’re not used to it. But believe us when we say it’s a much better experience, and it doesn’t take long to adjust to the rhythm of reading along as you’re watching the episodes.
Of course, some people have differently abled hearing and should adjust accordingly depending on your needs and preferences. But for those who are able, watching “Dark” with the original audio is well worth the extra effort. The original audio will allow you to truly grasp the performances in the way they are meant to be conveyed on screen.
Season three of “Dark” premieres on Saturday, June 27.
- Read more:
- A quick guide to every major character in ‘Dark’
- An essential recap of everything that’s happened in ‘Dark’ so far
- REVIEW: Netflix’s new thrilling mystery series ‘Dark’ will be your next binge-worthy obsession
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.