- Actor Danny Masterson, known for his roles in “That 70s Show” and “The Ranch,” has been charged with forcibly raping three women in separate incidents in the early 2000s, the Los Angeles District Attorney announced Wednesday.
- If convicted, Masterson could face up to 45 years in state prison.
- The Los Angeles Police Department has been investigating Masterson after multiple women came forward and sued the actor, accusing him of rape in 2017.
- The District Attorney’s office declined filing charges against Masterson in two other cases due to insufficient evidence in one and the other based on the statute of limitations.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Actor Danny Masterson was charged with forcibly raping three women in separate incidents between the years of 2001 and 2003, the Los Angeles District Attorney announced Wednesday.
The case is still under investigation by the Los Angeles Police Department.
Masterson, known for his recurring role as Steven Hyde in “That ’70s Show” could face up to 45 years in state prison if convicted.
Masterson is accused of “raping a 23-year-old woman between January and December 2001, according to the complaint,” according to a press release from the DA’s office.
“In April 2003, Masterson allegedly raped a 28-year-old woman and sometime between October and December of that year he is accused of raping a 23-year-old woman who he had invited to his Hollywood Hills home,” the press release continued.
All of the alleged crimes occurred in Masterson’s home, according to Reinhold Mueller, Deputy District Attorney of the Sex Crimes Division.
The Los Angeles District Attorney did not file sexual assault charges against Masterson in two other cases, citing insufficient evidence in one case and the other “based upon the statute of limitations for the crime alleged.”
In August of last year, four women sued the actor, accusing Masterson of rape and conspiring with the Church of Scientology to cover up the alleged crimes. Two of the women were his former girlfriends, Chrissie Carnell Bixler and Marie Bobette Riales, and the other two women were solely identified as Jane Doe 1 and Jane Doe 2. It is not clear if these accusers are related to the recent charges filed against Masterson.
Both Masterson and representatives from the Church of Scientology denied the claims.
The accusations first came to light in 2017, and have since been under investigation by the Los Angeles Police Department.
One of the women who accused the actor of rape called out Netflix for allowing him to star in the Netflix series “The Ranch.” A Netflix executive defended Masterson and was subsequently fired from the company. Masterson’s role in the show ended in 2018 and was dropped by his talent agency in light of the allegations.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.