A Colorado couple allege they were poisoned at the same Dominican Republic resort where 3 Americans died last month

The Denver ChannelKaylynn Knull says she and her boyfriend got sick at the same Dominican Republic resort where three Americans died late last month.
  • Kaylynn Knull told The Denver Channel on Wednesday that she and her boyfriend got sick last year when they stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe La Romana in the Dominican Republic.
  • It’s the same property where three Americans died late last month from what officials have said was respiratory failure and pulmonary edema.
  • Knull said that they came back to their room to find it smelling strongly of chemicals and that a doctor later told them that they had likely been exposed to pesticides.
  • She is suing the resort. The hotel chain has said the three deaths last month were not related to one another.
  • Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.

A Colorado woman is speaking out after the recent deaths of three Americans at a resort in the Dominican Republic, alleging that she and her boyfriend were poisoned at the same property a year before.

Kaylynn Knull and her boyfriend, Tom Schwander, vacationed at the Grand Bahia Principe La Romana in June 2018, she told The Denver Channel on Wednesday.

After turning down an offer to buy a timeshare at the resort, they returned to their room to find a strong chemical smell, as if “somebody had dumped paint everywhere,” she said.

Grand bahia principe la romanaBahía Príncipe Hotel & ResortsKnull and her boyfriend stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, pictured.

“We were drooling excessively. My eyes would not stop watering,” she told the local ABC affiliate.

Knull said that they changed rooms but woke up early the next morning soaked in sweat. Scared about their symptoms, they decided to cut their trip short and booked an early flight home, she said.


Read more:
5 American tourists have died in the Dominican Republic in less than 3 months

“I was having the worst intestinal cramping I have ever experienced. It felt like a chainsaw going through my gut,” she told The Denver Channel.

Back in the US, a doctor determined that they likely had organophosphate poisoning, meaning they had probably been exposed to pesticides, The Denver Channel reported, citing records it obtained.

The couple have sued Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts in the Dominican Republic seeking $US1 million, alleging that the company refused to reveal what chemicals they were exposed to or refund their money, The Denver Channel reported.

Knull did not immediately respond to INSIDER’s request for comment on the lawsuit.

A Bahia Principe spokesman said he was “unable to provide comment” on Knull and her boyfriend’s claims “as the matter is currently under litigation.”

3 people died at the same resort last month

This week, it was revealed that a Pennsylvania woman and a Maryland couple had died at the same resort.

Edward Nathaniel Holmes and Cynthia Ann Day were found dead in their rooms at the Grand Bahia Principe La Romana on May 30 after missing their checkout time, the hotel said. Dominican Republic officials said the couple died of respiratory failure and pulmonary edema – the same cause determined in the death of Miranda Schaup-Werner at a sister hotel on the same property five days earlier.

The families of the three have said the deaths came as a surprise. Bahia Principe said in a statement on Wednesday that the three incidents were not correlated.

Knull told The Denver Channel that after hearing the news about the three deaths, she felt compelled to tell her story.

“I honestly believe the truth needs to be told. This sounds way too similar at the same resort. I don’t know, I can’t keep my mouth shut,” she said.

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.