Counter-terror police investigate New Year's Eve stabbings in Manchester

Photo credit should read PAUL ELLIS/AFP/Getty ImagesBritish police at Manchester Victoria station.
  • Counter-terrorism police are leading an inquiry into a New Year’s Eve attack on three people, including a British police officer.
  • A male assailant reportedly stabbed three people, who have been treated for “serious” but not life-threatening injuries.
  • An eye-witness said the man brandished a “kitchen knife” with a “12 inch blade” just a few feet away from him.
  • The eye-witness added that the man shouted “Allah” during the attack and criticised western goverments, according to the BBC.

LONDON – Counter-terror police are investigating a New Year’s Eve attack after a man stabbed three people, including a British Transport police officer in his 30s, at Victoria Station in Manchester, according to the BBC.

The injuries sustained by the victims, that included a man and a woman in their 50s, are “serious” but not life-threatening. The police officer was stabbed in the shoulder, but released from hospital on Tuesday, January 1.

Assistant Chief Constable Rob Potts told the BBC: “A man is in custody and there is currently no intelligence to suggest that there is any wider threat at this time. While we don’t yet know the full circumstances and are keeping an open mind, officers from Counter Terrorism Policing North West are leading on the investigation.”

The incident occurred at approximately 20:50 local time on December 31, 2018 and an eyewitness tweeted shortly after that the attack happened just a few feet away from him, and that the alleged assailant brandished a “long kitchen knife.”

“Just been very close to the most terrifying thing,” Sam Clack, a producer for the BBC, said on Twitter. “Man stabbed in Manchester Victoria station on tram platform. Feet from me, I was close to jumping on the tracks as attacker had long kitchen knife. Totally shaken. This is seriously messed up.”

embed type

A BBC report of the incident claims Clack heard the attacker shout “Allah.”

Elaborating on the incident in the Manchester Evening News, Clack said: “I just heard this most blood curdling scream and looked down the platform. What it looked like was a guy in his 60s with a woman of similar age and another guy all dressed in black.

“It looked like they were having a fight but she was screaming in this blood curdling way. I saw police in high-viz come towards him. He came towards me. I looked down and saw he had a kitchen knife with a black handle with a good, 12 inch blade. It was just fear, pure fear.”

Police reportedly tasered the man and used pepper spray as he was “resisting arrest,” according to Clack.

Clack said that while the attacker was held down, he said: “As long as you keep bombing other countries this sort of s— is going to keep happening.”

Victoria station has since reopened.

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.