- Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey appeared on BuzzFeed News’ “AM to DM” on Thursday and was quizzed on the ingredients that go into a margarita.
- The presidential candidate answered “vodka,” causing the hosts to burst into laughter.
- Booker, who doesn’t drink, admitted that he had probably lost some voters with his answer.
Cory Booker may have alienated some voters by revealing he has no idea how to make a margarita.
The New Jersey senator and Democratic presidential candidate appeared on BuzzFeed News’ “AM to DM” show on Thursday to discuss legalizing marijuana. At the end of the show, the hosts decided to play a little game with Booker, quizzing him on the ingredients in popular cocktails.
To be fair, the game was meant to be a bit of a challenge for Booker, who doesn’t drink. But it still shocked the hosts to learn that he had no idea what goes into America’s favourite cocktail.
When asked the ingredients of a margarita, Booker looked nervous and took a long pause before answering.
“So a margarita … there’s fruit and there’s ice and there is vodka,” Booker said.
“Oh nooo,” one of the hosts said, as they both broke out in laughter.
— AM2DM by BuzzFeed News (@AM2DM) February 28, 2019
Booker quickly changed his liquor answer to tequila, thanks to the help of someone off camera.
“Tequila! I’m sorry, I had help from a friend. Somebody yelled out tequila,” Booker said.
“This is brutal. This is literally – this might lose some voters from people in my family right now because they’re embarrassed,” Booker said, bowing his head in shame.
Booker was also asked the ingredients in a Manhattan, and failed at that as well. But he was able to answer the softball question of what goes into a vodka soda.
Twitter users joked that his lack of cocktail knowledge was “disqualifying” information about the 2020 hopeful.
This whole margarita fail is why I think Cory Booker has no shot: he is a deeply weird person. https://t.co/q23pvhRk6k
— Ben Domenech (@bdomenech) March 1, 2019
- Read more:
- The best margarita recipe
- Jose Cuervo just released a ready-to-drink millennial pink margarita – and it’s perfect for rosé lovers
- I tried Jennifer Aniston’s ‘clean’ margarita recipe and now I’m saying goodbye to sugary mixes forever
- Experts say Cory Booker’s unusual status as an unmarried man could make a run for president even tougher
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.