- Conor McGregor told the media on Wednesday that he has been in talks to box Manny Pacquiao and wants to win a boxing world title.
- Shortly before McGregor’s comments, a boxing and MMA reporter posted a mock fight poster for a McGregor-Pacquiao matchup on Twitter.
- The poster featured Pacquiao and McGregor in front of an under-construction Las Vegas stadium designed to have a capacity of 65,000.
- The reporter said the poster was sent to him by Pacquiao’s manager and guessed the Filipino is interested in the fight.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
LAS VEGAS – Conor McGregor said he has been in talks to box Manny Pacquiao, and a prominent boxing reporter said the Filipino is interested in the fight.
Business Insider attended Wednesday’s press conference at the Palms Casino Resort’s Pearl Theatre for McGregor and Donald Cerrone to build interest in their UFC 246 welterweight fight at the T-Mobile Arena on Saturday.
McGregor mentioned that his plans included a return to the boxing ring to improve on his losing record, having been defeated by Floyd Mayweather three years ago.
McGregor said he thought he did well against Mayweather in 2017. “With adjustments, I’d do better,” he said. “Now I’d take victory.”
Though fighting Mayweather again appears to be a priority, McGregor is also targeting other big-name opponents, like Pacquiao, the reigning World Boxing Association welterweight world champion.
“With Manny Pacquiao, talks have been ongoing,” McGregor said. “An aspiration of mine is to win a boxing world title. It would be a phenomenal feather in the cap and is something I will achieve.”
Before McGregor’s comments, Kevin Iole, the boxing and MMA reporter at Yahoo Sports, posted a mock fight poster of McGregor and Pacquiao on Twitter.
Iole said the poster came from Sean Gibbons, Pacquiao’s manager.
Just got this mock poster from @KnuckleheadSean who is the head of MP Promotions for Senator @MannyPacquiao So I'm guessing the Senator has heard that @TheNotoriousMMA is interested in fighting him and is interested. pic.twitter.com/odEwLoDHDg
— Kevin Iole (@KevinI) January 15, 2020
The poster featured Pacquiao and McGregor in front of Allegiant Stadium, a jet-black domed venue still under construction, designed to have a capacity of 65,000.
Iole said he guessed that Pacquiao had heard McGregor “is interested in fighting him and is interested.”
- Read more:
- Conor McGregor has broken his silence about 2 sexual-assault allegations, saying ‘time will show all’
- Conor McGregor can do whatever he wants in training for his next fight because his coach says he knows more than they do
- Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone’s coach has said Conor McGregor is a one-trick pony who can easily be lassoed
- Conor McGregor recently surprised beginner boxers by taking over their lesson, shouting at them, and showing them how to punch
- Conor McGregor loves the mirror, has a massive ego, and will never be a ‘fat, old guy,’ his coach says
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.