- Conor McGregor says his next fight will be a boxing match against Manny Pacquiao.
- McGregor’s manager Audie Attar told ESPN that while the fight is not yet a done deal, it’s in the works, with the bout potentially taking place in December or January.
- McGregor’s first foray into boxing against Floyd Mayweather proved quite a profitable decision for both men involved.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Conor McGregor says he’s ready to give boxing another go.
On Friday, McGregor tweeted that his next fight was set. “I’m boxing Manny Pacquiao next in the Middle East,” wrote the Irishman.
McGregor’s announcement came after a thread of tweets that showed correspondence between himself and UFC president Dana White. In the conversations, McGregor stated his desire to find a follow-up fight after his victory over Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone in January. Still, the timing for a big bout never worked out.
To Diego Sanchez…
I seen your recent comments about your final bout and I am in!
After you fought Pereira, I had requested for myself and you to compete in Dublin. This was back in February when I was working on opposition for my season, pre covid.
Good luck this weekend! pic.twitter.com/Y0hf6Zr7XF
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) September 25, 2020
It appears McGregor’s next fight won’t be in the octagon, but rather the boxing ring.
According to ESPN’s Ariel Helwani, McGregor’s manager Audie Attar, who also represents Pacquiao, says that while the fight is not yet a done deal, things are moving in that direction, with the fight potentially taking place in December or January, and the Middle East as one of a few potential locations for the bout.
McGregor made his boxing debut in 2017, facing off against Floyd Mayweather in what wound up as a huge payday for both fighters.
As boxing expert Gareth A. Davies told Insider back in January, a fight between McGregor and Pacquiao could have been worth as much as $US250 million, although that projection was offered before the COVID-19 pandemic and thus may no longer be applicable depending on the timeline for the fight.
Still, McGregor’s retirement from the UFC isn’t expected to last too long. As White told ESPN last week, the wheels for his next fight are already in motion.
“We’re actually working on some fun stuff for Conor at the beginning of next year,” White told ESPN Thursday. “He should be back next year.
“I’m not saying he’s coming back to fight guaranteed, but we’re talking right now about some stuff.”
Regardless of where he fights next, McGregor remains one of the biggest draws in all of combat sports.
- Read more: