- Conor McGregor appeared to tell his Twitter followers on Wednesday that he would return to the Octagon, 10 days after announcing he was retiring from the sport.
- McGregor also said he wanted to “move forward” after comments toward his bitter rival Khabib Nurmagomedov’s wife that have been described as Islamophobic.
- Both athletes have been involved in an ugly war of words that involved the Irishman calling Nurmagomedov’s wife “a towel” and the Russian calling McGregor a “rapist.”
- The UFC boss Dana White urged them to end their social-media feud and said the company would act.
- McGregor deleted his offensive tweets and said that “all faiths challenge us to be our best selves,” before telling his fans, “Now see you in the Octagon.”
Conor McGregor on Wednesday appeared to announce his return to the Octagon and said he wanted to “move forward” after tweets about his bitter rival Khabib Nurmagomedov’s wife.
Few believed McGregor would stay retired, especially after back-to-back defeats by Floyd Mayweather in 2017 and Nurmagomedov last year. Even Sylvester Stallone, a minority UFC owner, said McGregor had been “publicly humiliated.”
But McGregor has been active on social media this week, challenging another minority UFC owner, the actor Mark Wahlberg, to a fight for all his shares in the business, then turning his attention to Nurmagomedov.
White has since called for calm and said the UFC would act, something McGregor seemed to ignore when he tweeted – then deleted – another post about Nurmagomedov’s wife:
McGregor later said he wanted to “move forward” and implied he would return to UFC.
“I want to move forward, with my fans of all faiths and all backgrounds,” McGregor said. “All faiths challenge us to be our best selves. It is one world and one for all.”
He added: “Now see you in the Octagon.”
I want to move forward, with my fans of all faiths and all backgrounds.
All faiths challenge us to be our best selves.
It is one world and one for all ❤️
Now see you in the Octagon.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) April 4, 2019
McGregor is free to fight starting Saturday, having served his suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission for his role in the post-event brawls that marred his UFC 229 loss to Nurmagomedov in October.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.