Photo: Andrés Ramírez
Just days after closing the current round of peace talks, the Colombian government launched attacks against the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC.According to the Wall Street Journal, the Colombian Air Force said they bombed three areas in a province near the Ecuadoran border. Among the 20 dead, the statement said, is a mid-level leader who was known for attacking the oil pipeline. An article on CNN.com reports that a top leader, known as Guillermo Pequeno, a 25-year member of the Marxist group, was killed.
It’s unclear whether the two news organisations are talking about the same person.
Less than two weeks ago, FARC offered a two-month cease fire before representatives from both sides met in Cuba to figure out how to end the longest war in Latin America. Of course, the following day, rebels who claim they weren’t aware of the cease fire blew up two electricity towers.
It wouldn’t be the first time FARC distorted the truth. They said they gave up the “kidnapping for ransom” business in February, but just last week finally let four Chinese oil workers go.
Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos rejected the cease fire when it was offered. He told CNN earlier that until the peace talks were finalised, he would conduct “business as usual.”
There hasn’t been any word yet on FARC’s reaction to the bombing. But it’s probably fair to guess that the next meeting between the two sides, scheduled for Friday, will be a little awkward.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.