- University of Southern California announced on Monday it was reviewing the status of students linked to the $US25 million college admissions scandal.
- While the students are under review, their accounts are being put on hold and they will be unable to register for classes or request copies of their transcripts.
- USC said following the review, students could have their admission revoked or face expulsion.
- Law enforcement officials previously said many students may not have known their parents had bribed college officials or entrance exam administrators to get them into elite universities.
University of Southern California’s admissions office has announced that students linked to the $US25 million college admissions scandal will be barred from registering for new classes as the school reviews their cases.
USC said in an announcement on Twitter that the students’ accounts would be put on hold while it reviews their statuses at the school. The hold prevents students from registering for classes and acquiring transcripts.
“Following the review, we will take the proper action related to their status, up to revoking admission or expulsion,” the school said.
• These students have been notified that their status is under review
• Following the review, we will take the proper action related to their status, up to revoking admission or expulsion
More information is available on the FAQ: https://t.co/U3qejBfXfm
— USC (@USC) March 19, 2019
While it is unclear exactly how many students at USC are linked to the scandal, the university said all who are under review have been notified.
USC was one of several universities named in a criminal complaint released by the Department of Justice last week, which accused parents of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes to get their students into elite colleges.
A criminal complaint released by the Department of Justice last week said parents paid William Singer – the alleged ringleader of the cash-for-college scheme – to guarantee spots at elite colleges for the children.
Officials said the scheme involved bribing college officials and coaches, as well as entrance exam officials.
USC said that it terminated two employees and places a third on leave after the criminal complaint was made public.
The Department of Justice did not file charges against any students who were admitted through the scheme, and officials said at a press conference that the majority of the students likely did not know the scheme was going on.
- Read more about the college admissions scandal:
- 20 per cent of Americans think the kids who benefited from the college admissions scandal should be expelled
- Students are suing the schools involved in the college admissions scandal – but experts say it’s a dead end
- What will actually happen to the powerful millionaires ensnared in the college admissions scandal
- Several coaches tied to the college admissions scam have been fired or placed on leave – here’s what they are accused of doing
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.