- The Department of Justice on Tuesday charged 50 people with participating in a scheme to get students into colleges by cheating on entrance exams or bribing athletic coaches.
- The parents charged include the actresses Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman, as well as executives at prominent companies, venture-capital firms, and law offices.
- Coaches and test administrators were also among the people charged.
The Department of Justice unsealed documents on Tuesday charging 50 people with participating in a scheme involving bribery, money laundering, and document fabrication to unfairly get students admitted to elite colleges.
Court documents reviewed by INSIDER said the scheme involved bribing college athletic coaches to recruit students regardless of their athletic ability, as well as cheating on entrance exams.
Prosecutors said the scheme was led by William Singer, a college-prep professional. He has pleaded guilty.
“Parents paid Singer approximately $US25 million to bribe coaches and university administrators to designate their children as purported athletic recruits, thereby facilitating the children’s’ admission to those universities,” the Department of Justice said in a press release.
Dozens of wealthy people, including celebrities and CEOs of public and private companies, were charged.
Here’s the full list of people charged and how they were described in charging documents:
- Gordon Ernst: the head men’s and women’s tennis coach at Georgetown University.
- Donna Heinel: a senior associate athletic director at the University of Southern California.
- Ali Khosroshahin: the head women’s soccer coach at USC.
- Laura Janke: an assistant women’s soccer coach at USC.
- Jovan Vavic: a water-polo coach at USC.
- Jorge Salcedo: the head men’s soccer coach at UCLA.
- William Ferguson: the women’s volleyball coach at Wake Forest University.
- Michael Center: the head men’s tennis coach at the University of Texas at Austin.
- Rudy Meredith: the head women’s soccer coach at Yale.
- John Vandemoer: the sailing coach at Stanford.
College admissions and school administration
- William Rick Singer: the owner of the Edge College & Career Network and CEO of the Key Worldwide Foundation.
- Lisa “Niki” Williams: an assistant teacher at a high school in Houston who administered College Board and ACT tests.
- Martin Fox: the president of a private tennis academy in Houston.
- Igor Dvorskiy: the director of a private school in Los Angeles who administered College Board and ACT tests.
- Steven Masera: an employee of the Edge College & Career Network and the KWF.
- Mikaela Sanford: an employee of the Edge College & Career Network and the KWF.
- Mark Riddell: a counselor at a private school in Florida.
- Gregory Abbott: the founder and chairman of the International Dispensing Corporation, a food-packaging and research company.
- Marcia Abbott: Abbott’s wife.
- Gamal Abdelaziz: a hotel and casino executive who has worked for Wynn Resorts.
- Todd Blake: an entrepreneur and investor.
- Diane Blake: a cofounder and executive of Winston Retail Solutions, a retail marketing firm.
- Jane Buckingham: the founder and CEO of Trendera, a boutique marketing firm.
- Gordon Caplan: a cochairman of the international law firm Willkie Farr & Gallagher.
- I-Hin “Joey” Chen: a shipping-industry service provider in California.
- Gregory Colburn: a physician in California.
- Amy Colburn: Colburn’s wife.
- Robert Flaxman: the president and CEO of Crown Realty & Development, a real-estate firm in California.
- Lori Loughlin: a “Full House” actress.
- Mossimo Giannulli: Loughlin’s husband and the owner and fashion designer of the Mossimo clothing brand.
- Manuel Henriquez: the founder, chairman, and CEO of Hercules Capital, an investment firm.
- Elizabeth Henriquez: Henriquez’s wife.
- Douglas Hodge: an investor with positions at multiple major California investment firms who was formerly the CEO of Pimco.
- Felicity Huffman: the “Desperate Housewives” and “American Crime” actress.
- Agustin Huneeus: a California vineyard owner.
- Bruce Isackson: the president of WP Investments, a California real-estate firm.
- Davina Isackson: Isackson’s wife.
- Michelle Janavs: a former executive at a food manufacturer.
- Elisabeth Kimmel: the president of Midwest Televisions, a media company.
- Marjorie Klapper: a jewellery-business owner in California.
- Toby MacFarlane: a former executive at a California insurance company.
- William McGlashan: an executive at TPG Growth, a private-equity firm.
- Marci Palatella: the CEO of a liquor-distribution company.
- Peter Jan Sartorio: the leader of a packaged-foods company.
- Stephen Semprevivo: an executive at Cydcor, an outsourced-sales company.
- Devin Sloane: an executive at Aquatecture, a water-technology company.
- John Wilson: the founder and CEO of a private-equity and real-estate firm.
- Homayoun Zadeh: a dentistry professor at USC.
- Robert Zangrillo: the founder and CEO of Dragon Global, a venture-capital and real-estate-investment firm.
- David Sidoo: a philanthropist.
- Read more:
- Actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin among dozens charged by FBI with participating in a scheme to get students into elite colleges
- Melania Trump’s press secretary slammed ‘The View’ for speculating that the first lady may have a body double
- The 50 most underrated colleges in America
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.