Stocks finished up on Friday after the Federal Government narrowly avoided a complete shutdown with a two-week stopgap measure signed by President Donald Trump this morning.
Here’s the scoreboard:
- S&P 500: 2,650.05 (0.50%)
- Dow: 24,319.10 (+0.44%)
- Nasdaq: 6,837.262(+0.37%)
- Oil: $US57.33 (+1.18%)
- 10-year treasury: 2.36% (-0.02)
- The US economy added 228,000 nonfarm jobs in November, more than economists expected. The unemployment rate held at a 17-year-low of 4.1%.
- CNBC asked National Economic Council director Gary Cohn for his opinion on bitcoin’s astronomical rise. His response? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- Bank of America says the dollar is set for a big rebound after a difficult year.
- Brokerage giant TD Ameritrade is gearing up for bitcoin futures. Goldman Sachs plans to clear the product for some of its clients.
In other news…
- The next stock market crash will look a lot different from the financial crisis.
- Coinbase, an app for buying and selling bitcoin has rocketed to the top of iPhone App Store charts, but the company warned its platform could crash again in the future.
- It’s about to get a lot more expensive to bet on bitcoin.
- Nvidia stock had a great day after announcing the ‘most powerful GPU for the PC.’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.