Photo: WikiMedia Commons
Larry Ellison had 20,000 followers before he posted a single tweet.That’s because he’s one of the world’s richest people and has been the CEO of Oracle since he founded the company in 1977.
He’s also outspoken, outrageous, and really funny when he wants to be.
So the bar for his first tweet was set very high, but his first tweet went over like a pregnant pole-vaulter:
Oracle’s got 100+ enterprise applications live in the #cloud today, SAP’s got nothin’ but SuccessFactors until 2020
— Larry Ellison (@larryellison) June 6, 2012
He’s said some pretty cool, outrageous things in the past, though. Here are our favourites:
- “Four million dollars for sex? I mean excuse me?” Ellison said in response to a story about buying a mansion on the spot, just to sleep with his girlfriend.
- “We have been doing things that are contrary; the things that people tell us won’t work from the beginning. In fact, the only way to get ahead is to find errors in conventional wisdom.”
- “The computer industry is the only industry that is more fashion-driven than women’s fashion.”
- “To model yourself after Steve Jobs is like, ‘I’d like to paint like Picasso, what should I do? Should I use more red?'”
- “I’m addicted to winning. The more you win, the more you want to win.”
- “You are going to fire Mark Hurd and hire Leo? What I said at the time was that this was the best idea since the Apple board fired Steve Jobs. Really brilliant.”
- “I have had all of the disadvantages required for success.”
- “Some people built their system with a Flash UI. I won’t mention Workday by name.”
If those aren’t good enough for you, here are 10 reasons you wish you were Larry Ellison.