- The parents of Shanann Watts, the Colorado woman who was murdered by her husband along with her two young daughters, recently sat down for an interview with ABC News’ “20/20”.
- In one segment of the interview, Shanann’s mother, Sandra Rzucek, said that after her daughter and granddaughters were first reported missing, Chris Watts didn’t appear worried.
- “He didn’t give a flying flip,” she said.
The parents of Shanann Watts, the pregnant woman who was murdered along with her two young daughters by her cheating husband in August, have sat down for their first television interview.
In preview clips of their interview on ABC News’ “20/20”, Shanann’s mother, Sandra Rzucek, said her daughter’s husband did not appear worried when his wife and daughters were first reported missing.
“He didn’t give a flying flip,” Rzucek recalled.
Chris Watts would later admit to disposing of his three family members’ bodies at an oil site where he worked, after strangling his wife and smothering his daughters, 4-year-old Bella and 3-year-old Celeste.
Before confessing to the three murders, Watts spoke to local reporters about the disappearance in a bizarre interview on the front porch of his house.
Rzucek said she advised her son-in-law not to speak to the press, but he decided to anyway.
“I said, ‘Chris, you know, I don’t think you should do any media.’ I said ‘Um, you’re the last one to have seen them. So I don’t think you should.’
“I thank God he did. I thank God in heaven that he didn’t listen to me,” Rzucek said.
When Sandra and her husband Frank saw the interview, they said Watts was acting out of character.
He was “definitely somebody else,” Shanann’s mother said. “It was frightening.”
Last month, Chris Watts was sentenced to three consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole.
The full interview with Sandra and Frank Rzucek is set to air on Friday night’s episode of “20/20” at 10 p.m.
- Read more about the Chris Watts case:
- Mistress of Chris Watts, the man accused of murdering his pregnant wife and 2 daughters, speaks out about their affair
- ‘I put my hands around my wife’s neck’: Video shows the chilling moment Chris Watts confessed to strangling his pregnant wife
- In the days before he murdered his wife and 2 kids, Chris Watts was Googling the price of an Audi and ‘marrying your mistress’
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.