Chris Christie is no longer a candidate to replace
Mike Francesa when he departs from WFAN this December.
The New York Daily News first reported that Christie was informed by WFAN that he was out of the running on Saturday. On Sunday, Christie said the Daily News report was “completely incorrect” and that he had actually taken himself out of contention for the job weeks earlier.
“After considering the other options that I have been presented with for post-gubernatorial employment, I declined their request to do additional shows,” Christie said in a statement, adding, “I made that clear to them prior to leaving for my family vacation two weeks ago.”
Regardless of who called the potential job offer off the table, it appears that Christie will not be pursuing a career in radio once his term finishes in January, and that the search for Mike Francesa’s replacement remains ongoing. Francesa announced his intention to retire at the end of the year back in January and since then rumours have swirled about who would fill one of the most iconic seats in sports radio.
Christie had floated his interest in radio and even filled in for Francesa a few times over the past year to results that are at the very least interesting, but it appears that WFAN will have to look in another direction. Christie has had a big year in sports, making headlines after catching a foul ball and getting booed at a Mets game and berating a Cubs fan while holding nachos.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.