Chipotle customers sue for $74,000 after they got sick eating there

Two men are suing Chipotle. Facebook/Chipotle

Two men are suing Chipotle after they got sick from eating at one of the chain’s restaurants in Sterling, Virginia.

The restaurant is the source of a recent norovirus outbreak that sickened more than 135 people, according to the Loudon County Health Department.

The plaintiffs, Kyle Hogan and Patrick Moore, are seeking $US74,000 in damages, NBC Washington reports.

Hogan and Moore claim they got ill after eating at the Sterling restaurant on or around July 14.

Chipotle has said that a sick employee was the source of the recent norovirus outbreak.

Norovirus is highly contagious and causes symptoms like stomachaches, nausea, diarrhoea, and vomiting. It’s the most common cause of foodborne illnesses in the US, with about 21 million cases annually.

Chipotle closed the Sterling restaurant for two days for cleaning after discovering the outbreak, then reopened the location.

News of the outbreak sent Chipotle’s shares tumbling, with many analysts and investors speculating that it could renew customers’ fears about eating there after the 2015 E. coli outbreak that crushed Chipotle’s sales.

In addition to the customer lawsuits, Chipotle has also been served with a federal grand jury subpoena requesting information related to the outbreak.

The subpoena is part of a larger federal criminal investigation into food-related illnesses at Chipotle restaurants dating back to 2015.

Chipotle said in a filing Wednesday that it intended to fully cooperate with the investigation.

“It is not possible at this time to determine whether we will incur, or to reasonably estimate the amount of, any fines or penalties in connection with the investigation pursuant to which the subpoena was issued,” the company said.