More than 400 people say they got sick after eating at a Chipotle restaurant that was shut down on Monday

Hollis Johnson/Business InsiderMore than 400 people say they got sick after eating at an Ohio Chipotle.
  • Chipotle closed a restaurant in Powell, Ohio, on Monday following reports that customers got sick after eating there.
  • The local health department told Business Insider that it had received 518 calls and emails related to the possible illness outbreak.
  • A total of 418 people said they fell ill after eating at the restaurant, according to reports made to the website iwaspoisoned.com.
  • Chipotle had two to five staff members call off work while citing illness on Sunday and Monday, the company told health officials.

More than 400 people said they fell ill after eating at an Ohio Chipotle that is thought to be at the center of an illness outbreak, according to a website that tracks foodborne illnesses.

A total of 228 reports have been made to the website iwaspoisoned.com suggesting that 418 customers have fallen sick after eating at a Powell, Ohio, Chipotle since Friday, according to Patrick Quade, the website’s founder. The restaurant’s address is 9733 Sawmill Pkwy.

The website saw a surge in reports after Business Insider’s article late Monday revealing that Chipotle had shut down the restaurant over reports that customers had fallen ill. The site allows users to self-report suspected foodborne illnesses. Chipotle shares fell more than 3% in after-hours trading Monday.

The local health department, called the Delaware General Health District, is investigating the possible illness outbreak. The agency said Thursday that it has received 518 inquiries – including 95 emails and 423 calls – related to the possible illness outbreak, according to Traci Whittaker, a spokeswoman for the Delaware General Health District.

“The Health District food inspection team inspected the restaurant this afternoon,” Whittaker said in an email to Business Insider on Tuesday. “Based on the food protection procedures followed by the facility, the inspection team found no reason for the facility to not reopen.”

She said 33 stool sample kits were delivered Tuesday to people that reported illness.

Chipotle shut down the Powell restaurant on Monday over reports of customer and employee illnesses.

“We take all claims of food safety very seriously and we are currently looking into a few reports of illness at our Powell, Ohio, restaurant,” Chipotle spokeswoman Laurie Schalow told Business Insider on Monday. “We are not aware of any confirmed foodborne illness cases, and we are cooperating with the local health department.”

The Delaware General Health District said it received illness reports from seven customers on Sunday and Monday. In response, health officials arrived at the Chipotle restaurant on Monday for an inspection and found the restaurant closed.

Health officials then discussed the illness complaints with the company and discovered that Chipotle had also received four to five illness complaints from customers. Chipotle management said it was unable to get in touch with the health department to report the illnesses.

Chipotle also told health officials that two to five staff members called off work citing illness on Sunday and Monday.

Chipotle voluntarily closed the Ohio restaurant Monday for deep cleaning and removal of all exposed foods and single-use equipment, the company said. The company planned to reopen the restaurant on Tuesday.

NOW WATCH: Briefing videos

Business Insider Emails & Alerts

Site highlights each day to your inbox.

Follow Business Insider Australia on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.