China’s top broadcasting regulator has issued six new rules (or “suggestions”) for television production, the state-run Beijing News reports.They sound bizarre to western ears:
- Remakes of foreign shows are banned.
- Historical shows should cut down on jokes.
- Historical shows should cut down on family drama.
- Online games shouldn’t be turned into TV shows.
- Revolutionary history shows should show who is with China and who is with its “enemies”.
- Shows with a business theme should stress positive values.
The WSJ reports that the new rules, said to be issued by the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television, have not yet been confirmed by other sources, but adds that rules like this have been leaked to state news agencies and then officially announced in the past.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.