The Republicans have just posted this regarding Jon Corzine, the man at the helm of failed MF Global.
Jon Corzine’s Wall Street Firm, MF Global Has Filed For Bankruptcy. “Broker-dealer MF Global, headed by former New Jersey governor and Goldman Sachs chairman John Corzine, has filed for bankruptcy protection, apparently because of holdings of European debt.” (“Broker-Dealer MF Global Files For Bankruptcy,” USA Today, 10/31/11)
- Corzine Is Expected To Receive A $12 Million Golden Parachute. “With a sale of MF Global, Mr. Corzine’s role at the firm will almost certainly end, though he is expected to receive a severance payment of nearly $12.1 million.” (Michael J. De La Merced And Ben Protess, “MF Global Said To Be In Deal Talks With Interactive Brokers,” The New York Times’ “Dealbook,” 10/30/11)
Corzine Has Bundled Over $500,000 For Obama’s Reelection Campaign. (centre For Responsive Politics, Opensecrets.Org, Accessed 10/31/11)
- “Corzine Has Already Held A High-End Fundraiser And organised A Secret Meet-And-Greet Between Finance Executives And Obama’s New Chief Of Staff.” (Peter Stone, Elizabeth Lucas, John Aloysius Farrell, Paul Abowd and Rachael Marcus, “Obama Campaign Reports More Than 350 Big Bundlers, Including Solyndra Figures,” Iwatch News, 10/14/11)
Corzine Co-Hosted A Wall Street Fundraiser For Obama In April. “President Obama’s first New York event since he declared his reelection will be at the home of former New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine, the former Goldman Sachs financier who will host a high-dollar, small dinner, an invitation to the event shows. Tickets to the event, which sources said Corzine is co-hosting with another financier, longtime Obama backer Orin Kramer and his wife, cost $35,800 per person.” (Maggie Haberman, “Obama Fundraiser At Corzine Home,” Politico, 4/5/11)
- The Fundraiser Was Part Of Obama’s Efforts “To Soothe Frayed Relations” With Wall Street. “The choice of Corzine’s home is notable, given his ties to the financial sector. The White House has made efforts in recent months to soothe frayed relations with the business community, after an election cycle during which some donors, unhappy with the push for Wall Street reform, claimed to be sitting on their hands.” (Maggie Haberman, “Obama Fundraiser At Corzine Home,” Politico, 4/5/11)
Corzine Attended Obama’s Blue Room Meeting With Wall Street Donors. (Josh Gerstein, “All At DNC Blue Room Meeting With Obama Were Donors, Politico’s “Under The Radar,” 6/26/11)
- Just Before Announcing For Reelection, Obama Brought Two Dozen Wall Street Executives And Long-Time Donors To The White House For A Blue Room Meeting. “A few weeks before announcing his re-election campaign, President Obama convened two dozen Wall Street executives, many of them longtime donors, in the White House’s Blue Room.” (Nicholas Confessore, “Obama Seeks To Win Back Wall St. Cash,” The New York Times, 6/12/11)
- The Meeting Was organised By The Democratic National Committee To Try To “Win Back” Wall Street, One Of Obama’s Main Sources Of Campaign Cash. “The event, organised by the Democratic National Committee, kicked off an aggressive push by Mr. Obama to win back the allegiance of one of his most vital sources of campaign cash — in part by trying to convince Wall Street that his policies, far from undercutting the investor class, have helped bring banks and financial markets back to health.” (Nicholas Confessore, “Obama Seeks To Win Back Wall St. Cash,” The New York Times, 6/12/11)
- Obama “Opened The Floor” For The Donors To Talk To Him “On Hot Issues.” “The guests were asked for their thoughts on how to speed the economic recovery, then the president opened the floor for over an hour on hot issues like hedge fund regulation and the deficit.” (Nicholas Confessore, “Obama Seeks To Win Back Wall St. Cash,” The New York Times, 6/12/11)
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.