- Not all nights out are born equal.
- Data from UBS reveals which cities in the world will hurt your wallets the most – and the least.
- Scroll down to see who made the list.
There are many variables that can make or break the bank when you hit the town: who you’re with, what you’re drinking and even what city you’re in.
Not all nights out are born equal and, fortunately, recent stats from Swiss bank UBS have revealed where you’ll find the most expensive (and the cheapest) places to paint the town red.
UBS used four quantifiers to determine the average cost of a night out in 13 major cities around the world: the price of a taxi, a Big Mac, club entry, and two long drinks.
Unsurprisingly, some cities were much more expensive than others for a night out – in Sweden, for example, club entry will set you back about $US27 (£20); meanwhile, in Mexico City, you can grab a couple of drinks for $US12 (£9).
Scroll down to see where you’ll get the most bang for your buck around the world, ranked by the average cost of a night out from most expensive to cheapest.
13. Zurich, Switzerland — $US93.79 (£70.15).
12. Miami, USA — $US87.18 (£65.21).
11. Stockholm, Sweden — $US86.97 (£65.05).
10. New York, USA — $US78.44 (£58.67).
9. Barcelona, Spain — $US65.01 (£48.62).
8. Sydney, Australia — $US62.78 (£46.96).
7. Hong Kong, China — $US62.33 (£46.62).
6. Paris, France — $US60.84 (£45.51).
5. Tokyo, Japan — $US58.04 (£43.41).
4. Prague, Czech Republic — $US46.29 (£34.62).
3. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil — $US44.07 (£32.96).
2. Moscow, Russia — $US26.56 (£19.86)
1. Mexico City, Mexico — $US20.35 (£15.22).
UBS also looked at the average cost of a date night in each city. Here’s the ranking in full:
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.