Where Are All The Naked Ladies?

Ladies in Chatroulette

Analytics firm RJMetrics has put together interesting data about the latest internet craze, Chatroulette, the site that pairs you up with a random stranger for video chats.

Chatroulette has become well-known for its 17-year old Russian founder, attracting interest from top-tier tech investors and, of course, featuring lots and lots of of sexual content.

RJMetrics used Chatroulette Map, a site that, as the name indicates, shows where people are surfing to Chatroulette, to analyse a representative sample of 2,883 conversations. Here are some key findings from the study:

  • Chatroulette is overwhelmingly male: 89%; moreover, over 1 in 3 of the remaining 11% females you meet on the site are part of a group; clearly (and not surprisingly), the site’s reputation for attracting sexual perverts attracts more men than women
  • You are more likely to encounter a web cam featuring no one at all than encounter a female; you are twice as likely to encounter a sign requesting female nudity than actual female nudity
  • Over half of Chatroulette users are in the USA; the second biggest country is France (sacrebleu!)
  • 13% of Chatroulette users are perverts, i.e. show content that would be rated R or NC-17. The UK and France are apparently the most perverted countries on Chatroulette.

The TechCrunch post includes lots more of very interesting stats, graphs and breakdowns so go read it >>>

More of our coverage of Chatroulette >>>

NOW WATCH: Tech Insider videos

Want to read a more in-depth view on the trends influencing Australian business and the global economy? BI / Research is designed to help executives and industry leaders understand the major challenges and opportunities for industry, technology, strategy and the economy in the future. Sign up for free at research.businessinsider.com.au.