In response to Interactive Map: Job Gains and Losses in the Recovery by Job Type (Healthcare, Education, Mining, Construction, Finance, Real Estate, etc), I exchanged Emails with Salil Mehta who has a blog on Statistical Ideas.
Salil asked for a better representation of some of the data in my post, specifically, a pair of tables I posted on jobs gains and losses since 2007.
I put together a line chart of what Salil asked, but I like the pie charts he sent much better. Click on either chart to see a sharper image.
Job Gaining Industries 2007-2012
Job Losing Industries 2007-2012
Credit for the data itself goes to Economic modelling Specialists.
2007 is December of 2007 (just as the recession started)
1012 is December of 2012 (the latest job data)
- Healthcare gained jobs every year since 2007, a total of 1,543,846
- Private Education Services gained every year since 2007, a total of 443,210
- Mining and Quarrying gained every year since 2007, a total of 106,863
- Construction lost jobs every year since 2007, a total of -2,360,431
- Information lost jobs every year since 2007, a total of -379,502
- Government lost jobs every year since 200, a total of -34,997
- Real Estate lost jobs every year from 2007-2011, a total of -300,807 since 2007
- Manufacturing has gained jobs two consecutive years but the 2007-2012 total is -1,977,255
- Retail Trade has gained jobs two consecutive years but the 2007-2012 total is -852,186
Lost and Gone Forever
The three largest net losers (construction, manufacturing, retail trade) have a net combined total of -5,189,872 since 2007. Most of those jobs are lost and gone forever.
Another 300,807 real estate jobs are lost and gone forever, as are 381,122 Finance and Insurance jobs, and 379,502 Information jobs.
See link at top for an interactive look and details that make up the above charts from Salil.
Once again, thanks to Economic modelling Specialists and Mike Klaczynski at Tableau Software for the original post.
Mike “Mish” Shedlock
Read more at http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2013/01/job-gaining-and-job-losing-industries.html#dhTAfO8FimCLDG4E.99
NOW WATCH: Money & Markets videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.