- You can change the voice, accent, or language for your Alexa.
- You can also set your Alexa to speak slower, or use whisper mode, if desired.
- There are also celebrity personalities you can purchase to be the voice of your Alexa.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
If you have Amazon devices, like the Echo speaker, you probably use the Alexa AI assistant to do things like set alarms and answer your questions. The default voice of Alexa isn’t the only option though. In fact, you can change both the language and the accent of the voice – or even use certain celebrity voices – if you want to change things up.
However, you should know that you can only change Alexa’s language with specific devices, like the Amazon Echo. And you may lose some capabilities if the language and the accent you choose don’t match.
With that in mind, here’s how to make changes to Alexa’s voice or language using either a voice command or the app.
How to change Alexa’s voice on an Echo
1. Say “Alexa, change your voice.”
2. Specify the device you want to change the voice for, if necessary.
3. Choose the new voice.
How to change Alexa’s voice or language on the Alexa app
2. Tap Devices in the bottom menu.
3. Tap Echo & Alexa.
4. Select your Echo device within the app.
5. Tap Language.
6. Choose the desired language or accent.
How to make Alexa whisper or speak less
1. Open the Alexa app.
2. Tap More, located in the bottom toolbar.
3. Select Settings.
4. Choose Voice Responses.
5. Toggle on the Whisper mode option for quieter responses, or toggle on Brief mode to have Alexa speak less.
How to make Alexa speak slower
You can make Alexa speak slower by saying the voice command “Alexa, talk slower.” And of course you’d say “Alexa, talk faster” if you want that effect. When you’re ready, say “Alexa, go back to your default speed” to reset the response speed.
Alexa celebrity voices
If you get tired of Alexa’s default voices, there are more options. For $US4.99 ($AU7), you can also purchase certain celebrity voices, like those from Samuel L. Jackson, Melissa McCarthy, and Shaquille O’Neal, to voice your Alexa.
Here’s how to access those options:
1. Say “Alexa, introduce me to [celebrity name].”
2. You’ll be directed to purchase that celebrity personality for your Alexa. Approve the purchase to start using the personality.
Alternatively, you can also purchase the celebrity personality for your Alexa via Amazon.com. Once set up, you can then use the celebrity’s first name instead of saying “Alexa” for voice commands.