- Sean Spicer, President Donald Trump’s first White House press secretary, is planning a new TV show: “Sean Spicer’s Common Ground.”
- Judging from early reports, however, he is having trouble securing guests.
- The lawyer Michael Avenatti and the comedian Kathy Griffin already seem to have declined offers to appear on the show , and no confirmed guests have been announced.
- Spicer also has no confirmed network for his show, so it isn’t clear where it will air.
The former White House press secretary Sean Spicer has a TV talk show in the works – but early signs suggest nobody wants to appear on it.
The show, which will be called “Sean Spicer’s Common Ground,” became public knowledge Monday after The New York Times published details from a pitch document for a pilot episode.
It soon emerged that two potential guests approached by Spicer had decided not to participate.
Michael Avenatti, the lawyer best known for suing President Donald Trump on behalf of the adult-film star Stormy Daniels,wrote on Twitter that he turned down the chance to appear on the show.
The comedian Kathy Griffin retweeted the New York Times White House correspondent Maggie Haberman, who reported that Griffin had declined to appear on the show.
So far there are no public reports that any guests have agreed to do the show, which is being produced by the TV syndication company Debmar-Mercury and Pilgrim Media Group.
According to The Times, the pitch document described the show as Spicer hosting “some of the most interesting and thoughtful public figures for a drink and some lite conversation at a local pub or cafe.”
The document reportedly continued: “The relaxed atmosphere is an ideal setting for Sean to get to know his guests as they discuss everything from the media to marriage. They might even tangle over the merits of making your bed or the value of a great point guard.”
A pilot episode is reportedly in the works and could be recorded in July.
Avenatti’s announcement that he didn’t want to participate in Spicer’s show appeared to mock Trump’s style of speaking.
He tweeted: “I turned down Sean Spicer for his new show despite the fact that it would have been YUGE with the biggest ratings since the Apprentice and the largest live audience since the 2017 Inauguration (which was the largest ever on record)!!!!!!!!!”
I turned down Sean Spicer for his new show despite the fact that it would have been YUGE with the biggest ratings since the Apprentice and the largest live audience since the 2017 Inauguration (which was the largest ever on record)!!!!!!!!!
— Michael Avenatti (@MichaelAvenatti) June 26, 2018
“It is pretty funny that while some on the right criticise me for being on television too much, others are soliciting me to appear with them to help sell their shows,” Avenatti told The New York Times.
Spicer confirmed the show to The Times. “In this current environment, I think it’s important to have a platform where we can have civil, respectful, and informative discussions on the issues of the day,” he said.
No network is attached to the new show yet, so it is not clear where the show might air when it is ready.
The show appears to be the latest effort by Spicer to stay in the public eye after giving up his White House job last July, six months into the Trump administration.
He has also recently started a podcast with the Fox News contributor Katie Pavlich and has a book, “The Briefing: Politics, The Press, and The President,” due to be published on July 24.
Business Insider has contacted the production companies and Spicer’s representatives for more information.
NOW WATCH: Briefing videos
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.