- Carnival Corporation CEO Arnold Donald told Business Insider in February that he made listening to his employees and customers a priority at the beginning of his tenure.
- If he could give his 25-year-old self advice, it would be to listen.
- “I would just tell my 25-year-old self to do, hopefully, what I try to do a lot of my life, which is listen, listen, listen. You can learn from anybody and everybody,” he said.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories
Donald said in a February interview with Business Insider that he made listening to his employees and customers a priority at the beginning of his tenure. If he could give his 25-year-old self advice, it would be to listen.
“I would just tell my 25-year-old self to do, hopefully, what I try to do a lot of my life, which is listen, listen, listen. You can learn from anybody and everybody,” he said.
“If you listen to the world, it will reveal itself to you. In business, if you listen to your customers or guests, they will tell you what it takes to exceed their expectations. If you listen to your employees, they will tell you how to deliver whatever that guest or customer wants in a manner where it’s sustainable for the company.”
Donald said his emphasis on listening has given him greater insight into customer psychology, like when he spoke with a passenger about a rival company’s cruise ship. Donald asked the passenger why he liked the ship, and the passenger cited the ship’s rock climbing wall and ice-skating rink. But when Donald asked if the passenger had used either, the passenger replied that he hadn’t.
The exchange suggested to Donald that the passenger took pride in the mere fact of travelling on a cruise ship with desirable amenities, which made Donald realise the importance of gathering customer feedback in a way that would reveal more profound psychological insights
“We have to ask questions in a way where we understand, psychologically, what’s driving somebody,” he said. “There’s a deeper way of learning how to ask questions.”
Have you worked on a cruise ship? Do you have a story to share? Email this reporter at [email protected].
- Read more:
- Richard Branson reveals how his new adults-only cruise line, Virgin Voyages, will turn the cruise industry upside down
- Cruise line workers reveal one of the biggest disadvantages of living on a cruise ship
- A lawyer who represents cruise-ship workers reveals one thing passengers do that’s terrible for some workers
- A lawyer who represents cruise ship workers reveals the hardest job on a cruise ship
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.