- The House of Representatives has a mask mandate again due to the rise of the Delta variant.
- Capitol Hill staffers: tell us your office’s COVID-19 protocols, and if you feel safe at work.
- Email us at [email protected] or message us on Signal at 1-202-567-7343.
- See more stories on Insider’s business page.
COVID-19 is back at the Capitol.
With the Delta variant of the coronavirus surging in the US, the Office of the Attending Physician announced this week that masks would once again be required when visiting the House of Representatives. The notice followed recent Centers for Disease Control guidance that even vaccinated people should resume wearing masks indoors in certain circumstances because they may transmit the Delta variant.
On Capitol Hill, the move prompted partisan debate, with Democrats and Republicans firing insults at each other over the reinstated mandates.
As lawmakers duke it out, Insider wants to hear from the thousands of staff who work for them about how their offices are handling the latest surge of COVID-19 – and whether they feel safe working in Congress or their district office. We’ll keep you anonymous.
What are your office’s COVID-19 policies and procedures? How have they changed due to the Delta variant? How are the protocols being communicated in your office? How do you feel about the changing policies?
If you have a copy, send a picture or screenshot. (If your office doesn’t have any rules, that’s worth telling us too.)
Email us at [email protected] or message us on Signal at 1-202-567-7343.
We’re also interested in hearing about the following if you have information:
- Does your office require you to be vaccinated? If so, do they verify?
- Is your office or committee complying with the newly-reinstated House mask mandate and CDC recommendations? Yes, or no?
- Have there been COVID-19 outbreaks among staffers in the last two weeks? Have you or others had to quarantine because of potential exposure?
- Is your office making it mandatory to work in person? Is your office mandating masks?
- Do you agree with the new mask guidelines in the House? Why or why not?
- Lots of congressional staffers make ‘poverty wages’ starting in the low $US20,000s. 8 Capitol Hill aides break down how they stretch their paychecks to survive in one of the nation’s most expensive cities
- Capitol Hill staffers describe the 2nd jobs and side gigs they have to take to survive on low pay, from delivering takeout to bartending