Jason Kempin/Getty ImagesLee Brice attends the ACM Lifting Lives TOPGOLF Tee-Off at TOPGOLF on April 06, 2019 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Callaway Golf, the $US1.8 billion golf club maker, just bought Topgolf. The deal would value Topgolf at $US2 billion, per a release.
- Topgolf is an entertainment company that operates outdoor and indoor golf games. The company generated $US1.1 billion in revenue in 2019 and has grown at a 30% compound annual rate since.
- “Topgolf is the best thing that happened to golf since Tiger Woods,” Callaway CEO Chip Brewer said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal. “It’s going to be the largest source of new golfers for our industry.”
- Callaway initially invested in Topgolf in 2006 for 14% of the company.
- Callaway expects Topgolf to grow significantly after reporting a 233% increase in revenue in the past three years. Topgolf had 23 million total guests in 2019, with over half of customers identifying as non-golfers.
- “Millennials want a parallel experience, and Topgolf is built on four things everyone loves – play, food and drinks, music and community” Erik Anderson, co-chairman Topgolf Entertainment Group, told CNBC.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.