- Double masking has become a trend, but until now there hasn’t been much evidence it works.
- A CDC study suggests popping a cloth mask over a surgical one can improve protection about 50%.
- There are plenty of other low-tech strategies that can improve the performance of your mask, too.
WHO experts recommend giving AstraZeneca and Oxford University’s coronavirus vaccine to people 18 and older, even in places where variants are spreading
- A World Health Organisation expert panel recommended Wednesday the AstraZeneca-University of Oxford coronavirus vaccine can be given to over 18 year-olds.
- The vaccine is authorised for emergency use in the UK, the EU, and several other countries, but not the US.
- It’s easier to transport and store than other existing coronavirus vaccines.
The pandemic made travel nurses the frontline heroes fighting the virus, but the work has taken a heavy toll
- Travel nurses are in high demand in the US as COVID-19 cases surge and hospitals are overwhelmed.
- Unlike early waves of the outbreak, staffing agencies say demand goes beyond just a few hotspots.
- Nurses tell Insider they’re burnt out and are unsure how long they can stay on the frontlines.
More stories we’re reading:
- About 1 in 10 Americans have received at least one dose of coronavirus vaccine (Insider)
- A Maine hospital brought in anti-union consultants from out of state and vaccinated them (Huffington Post)
- Japan says it has to throw away millions of Pfizer COVID-19 shots because it doesn’t have enough syringes to extract them (Insider)
- About 90 people were hospitalized for COVID-19 like symptoms in central China from October to December 2019 (The Wall Street Journal)