Hello! Here are top advertising and media articles for July 21. Lucia Moses here, filling in for Lauren Johnson, who’s on a well-earned vacation. Sign up for this daily newsletter here.
In today’s edition: Where media startups VCs are placing their bets, Red Bull’s diversity deck, and how MAC Cosmetics is dealing as store foot traffic crashes.
19 media startups that top VCs say are poised to take off in 2020, as the pandemic reshapes the industry
- The shuttering of movie theatres, production studios, live sports, theme parks, and film and music festivals has cut into media companies’ earnings.
- But investors are continuing to pour money into companies they think are poised to take off and emerge stronger as consumer habits shift.
- Here are 19 startups focused on areas like livestreaming, short-form video, podcasting, and esports that investors are bullish on.
Red Bull execs outlined plans to increase diversity efforts a month before being fired. Here’s their slide deck.
- About a month before being fired July 13, two top Red Bull executives announced ambitious plans to increase Black representation in the company, its marketing, and community outreach.
- Multiple employees saw their firing as an act of retaliation by Red Bull corporate leadership in Austria.
- The executives’ firings, along with layoffs in cultural marketing, have thrown into question the future of the diversity program.
MAC Cosmetics’ global CMO on how it’s reevaluating its stores, adapting to online shopping, and advancing diversity and inclusion
- MAC Cosmetics is known for its in-store experience, but the coronavirus pandemic has changed all that as people migrate to shopping online.
- Global CMO Ukonwa Ojo described how the Estée Lauder brand is adapting by using AR to let people try on makeup virtually and other features.
- She also addressed how the company continues to advertise on Facebook despite MAC’s taking a stance against hate speech.
More stories we’re reading:
Coronavirus Rewrites the Disney Playbook (Wall Street Journal)
While growing an empire, Shopify manages to play nice (Modern Retail)
Thanks for reading and see you tomorrow! Remember you can subscribe here.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.