- Burger King will roll out the Impossible Whopper across 7,000 locations nationwide on August 8.
- This comes after a successful test run of the plant-based burger that caused Impossible shortages at certain Burger King locations.
- The Impossible Whopper will be available nationwide for a limited time only, but depending on guest reaction, it could earn a place on Burger King’s permanent menu.
- Burger King’s president Chris Finazzo said that the chain is also “in the process of exploring” other plant-based proteins, but that those are still in a “very early stage of development.”
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Starting August 8, it will be possible to get an Impossible Whopper at over 7,000 Burger King locations across the US, the chain announced Thursday.
Following a successful four-month test run of the Impossible Whopper in limited markets, Burger King has decided to take the plant-based burger nationwide.
While the Impossible Whopper will be available for a limited time only, Burger King’s president Chris Finazzo told Business Insider that could change in the future.
“There’s no reason to believe that this won’t earn a more permanent place on our menu,” he said.
Burger King decides its permanent menu according to guest feedback, Finazzo said, adding that feedback for the Impossible Whopper has been overwhelmingly positive so far. During the testing phase, high demand from guests caused shortages of the plant-based burger at certain locations.
But Finazzo doesn’t anticipate more Impossible shortages at Burger King.
“We have a pretty good idea of how it will perform, and ultimately we want to get the product with a large manufacturer,” he said.
Bringing the Impossible Whopper national is the first step in Burger King’s plan to make plant-based options accessible to the everyday consumer.
Finazzo said that the chain is also “in the process of exploring” other plant-based proteins, but that those are still in a “very early stage of development.”
Between August 8 and September 1, customers can order the Impossible Whopper through DoorDash for a $US0 delivery fee. Also between August 8 and September 1, customers will be able to order the Impossible Taste Test through DoorDash or the Burger King app for $US7, which includes both an Impossible Whopper and an original Whopper. Customers should use the code “IMPOSSIBLE” to access both deals on DoorDash.
Business Insider Emails & Alerts
Site highlights each day to your inbox.