Bulls Beware- Today Was A Very Rare, Atypical Day

While stubborn bulls may have watched today’s action, trying to “play it cool,” let’s face it- this type of action in the market doesn’t happen that often.  In fact, getting a more than 30 handle pull back in the Spooz like we did today (32.25 handles was the daily range) in the midst of a strong market (one in which the 30D change is over 5.5%) has happened just 21 times in the past 10 years.  That number translates to 0.75% of the time since Jan. 2000.  So who are we kidding, today was a very different and rare trading day.


So the next logical question should be, what happens after ugly days like today in the context of a bull, barely any pull back market?  Cue the market probability model:

*Blue font denotes input parameters
*Bold font denotes output parameters

Nothing screaming huge sell off again tomorrow (for instance, the probability of closing up tomorrow is 47.62%, still not too bad).  The probability of making a lower low is 61.9%, favouring another pull back, but not to an extreme.  What I am more interested in regarding the above model is that the odds of the next 10D change being up (more than 0%)  are 33.3%, which meets my definition of “low.”  From a gut standpoint,  I don’t expect a bloodbath sell off of the likes of the one we saw in May/June of last year.  But I do expect that it will take at least another 10 days before the market sees a recovery or bounce off the lows.


  1D 10D Range Input 30.00   30D Chg 5.50%   Next Day Pct Chg Input 0.00%   Number of Instances 21   Number that Meets Criteria 10 7 Number of Higher High Next Days 4   Number of Lower Low Next Days 13   Number of High Above R4 Next Days 4   Number of Low Below S4 Next Days 4   Probability of Up 0% Next Time Period 47.62% 33.33% Probability of Higher High Next Day 19.05%   Probability of Lower Low Next Day 61.90%   Probability of Ticking Above R4 Next Day 19.05%   Probability of Ticking Below S4 Next Day 19.05%  

NOW WATCH: Money & Markets videos

Want to read a more in-depth view on the trends influencing Australian business and the global economy? BI / Research is designed to help executives and industry leaders understand the major challenges and opportunities for industry, technology, strategy and the economy in the future. Sign up for free at research.businessinsider.com.au.